ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Sandbox for Wayward Ant Tasks
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 15:17:05 GMT
At 11:52  4/5/01 +1000, Tim Vernum wrote:
>I have tasks that probably shouldn't be part of the support ant environment,
>but which other people want to use.
>Should I take these to sourceforge?
>Is that really the solution that people want?
>
>The commiters probably see less need for an "ant-contrib" module, since they
>can commit any task they think is useful, but it should be clear to all, that
>there are useful tasks that are not being accepted as part of ant.
>
>Even if these tasks don't fit the direct goals of ant, that doesn't mean they
>should be lost.
>
>Other than the adminstration difficulties of managing a new cvs module, what
>is the complaint against having a set of contrib tasks? It certainly seems
>better than the alternative.

Does there need to be another reason besides adminstration difficulties? ;)
Whether we like it or not ant committers would end up having to support
them - in the simplest form as patches to the contribu module, more
realistically we would also end up supporting the tasks in the CVS. It
wouldn't give good impression to our users if we just said - sorry can't
help you with those tasks - even though we host em ;) I am a declared lazy
person and if I can get out of doing something I consider "work" (ie
supporting things I think is innapropriate for whatever reason) I am going
to ;)

Do we need a ant-contrib thing somewhere? yep - I just don't know where. If
someone (hint hint) was to set one up at sourceforge or whereever I am sure
that ant dev would be supportive of that. (Or at least I would).

Cheers,

Pete