ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Properties and the <ant> tag
Date Thu, 24 May 2001 21:40:26 GMT
--- Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have mentioned it before.

I think almost everyone has, at some point in time :)  And I think pretty
much everyone agrees (to a greater or lesser degree) that the way it's
currently being done isn't ideal -- which is why it will be changing for
Ant2.

> The current semantics makes absolute non-sense since it assumes that
> every property in every biuldfile being build has the same meaning.

Granted -- but turn it around the other way: What about properties that do
have the same meaning? For example, attributes whose values are given as a
property. If I define the value for, say, the "debug" attribute in <javac>
with ${debug}, which is set to 'false' by default, and I want to define it
to 'true' for a particular run, I'd want that value to be in effect for
the <javac> tasks in all the sub-projects, not just the top-level project.
How would you see having sub-projects getting that value, if they're not
getting it from the parent project? (I'd like to see something like "task
templates", so you not only don't have to worry about things like the
example above, but you also then don't have to replicate the entire task
everywhere you want to use it, and instead you'd just have that in one
place, with only those attributes that differ [eg., the included/excluded
files] being specified in the tasks within the targets. But I can't really
propose that, since I'm not yet up-to-speed enough with Java to be able to
write the code for it, and it would be unfair to expect someone else to
just because I'd like to see it work that way.)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)