ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [RESULT] multithrading
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 15:45:22 GMT
From: "Twiggs, Glenn" <Glenn_Twiggs@bmc.com>
> I know I'm jumping in on this a bit late, but I think something important
> has been overlooked...
>
> In the example below, if the build must run generate THEN compile, you
> should define the generate target to depend on the compile target. By
fully
> defining all your dependencies, you will never need to sequentially
execute
> targets in the depends list.

OK, it is the other way around (compile depend on generate) but I know what
you mean. I am very wary about automatically starting to build targets in
parallel *implicitly*. The potential for strange behaviour is high - race
conditions, deadlocks, etc. The reason I prefer a construct  such as
<parallel> inside a target is that I know the build file writer has
explicitly thought about the potential interactions and has decidedit is
safe to use that approach.

Conor