ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant2 Proposal
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 19:33:32 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conor MacNeill" <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 06:30
Subject: Re: Ant2 Proposal

> Tim,

I'm actually using ant for final deploy of web apps; a different xml file
for each server (tomcat.xml, bluestone.xml... , each with the same set of
targets 'start-server', 'restart-server', install-files).

So the deploy task on the main box uploads the a zip file (ftp), then
remotely unzips it and hands off to the ant task at the far end, the tasks
deriving box specific details from env variables (TOMCAT_HOME) and
pre-installed property files.

 <target name="install-test" depends="deploy-to-test">
  <telnet userid="${testserver.user}" password="${testserver.password}"
server="${testserver.server}" timeout="30">
   <read string="&gt;"/>
   <write string="cd ${dir.copy}"/>
   <read string="&gt;"/>
   <write string="jar -xf package.zip"/>
   <read string="&gt;"/>
   <write string="cd dist"/>
   <read string="&gt;"/>
   <write string="ant -buildfile tomcat.xml"/>
   <read string="dist&gt;"/>
   <write string="ant -buildfile asp.xml"/>
   <read string="&gt;"/>
  </telnet>
 </target>

This only works when the destination boxes are accessible via telnet/ftp. I
have had to use telnet to a unix box and then ssh from the command line of
that box to get things to work with a more secured destination.

Anyway; remote ant invocation does work and is usefal as an install
mechanism, today, it is just fiddly in places.

-Steve

ps, Did you know 'Mutant' is also the name for mutexes in the NT Kernel?