ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Properties and the <ant> tag
Date Thu, 24 May 2001 20:41:11 GMT
> From: Whitney Hunter
>
> Is it just me or does anyone else think that it is bad that
> when the <ant>
> tag is used to execute a sub-build, the properties defined in
> the enclosing
> build file override the properties defined in an enclosed build file?

It is not just you. I feel the same way. As long as having the property
defined
within the <ant*> takes precedence from the declaration in the build file.

> The semantics that I expected (and I think is best) is for
> the properties of
> enclosing file to be available in the enclosed unless they
> are defined in
> the enclosed file. If a property is redefined in an enclosed
> file, it should
> override the enclosing file. If you want to override an
> enclosed property
> from the enclosing file, then use the embedded property
> syntax for <ant>.
> This is way that environment variables work in various unix shells.
>
> Comments?

I have mentioned it before. The current semantics makes absolute non-sense
since it assumes that every property in every biuldfile being build has the
same meaning. So if I use ${thefiles} a one file, this name cannot be used
in any other enclosed or calling file, unless they have exacltly the same
meaning. Which is the same as having just one global name space that one
need to administer between all build files you ever try to add to your
build.

Unmanageable, indeed.

Jose Alberto