ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Configure->Template->Build
Date Thu, 31 May 2001 11:36:11 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]

> >How could this work if the files/directories in question are
> not there
> >at configure time but created during the build time - or the build
> >deletes other files?
>
> Almost all of these can be statically generated from
> precursor products.
> For instance in many makefiles you build static lists of .o
> files in an
> output directory even though they are generated at runtime. I
> can not think
> of a legitimate reason not to have static mapping - can you ?

Well, this would not work for languages like Java. In Java, due to inner
classes, the .class files depend not only on the .java files but also on the
actual content of those files, so you cannot pre-compute it statically (not
completely accurate). So you cannot use a statically computed list to, for
example, tell what to put in a JAR. If you do that you will miss inner
classes.

I think the problem is the usage of patterns designed originally for MAKE. I
think ANT needs different patterns, not sure what they are, but I think that
when we discover them, we will see they are different.

Jose Alberto