ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Configure task (much like UNIX configure tool)
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 08:45:29 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael McCallum" <gholam@xtra.co.nz>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 3:16 AM
Subject: Re: [SUBMIT] Configure task (much like UNIX configure tool)

> The configure xml is just an example of how to use it.
>
> In the example i believe it sets the classpath property to be a list of
the jars.
> e.g.
> classpath=j2ee.jar:rt.jar:xerces.jar:xml4j.jar
>
> uses standard pattern of include **/foo.jar if does a search from the
'dir' and add each jar it finds to the property.

That can be done inside build.xml as well.

> then just set the project.home property in some standard build file eg
~/.ant/global.properties
> then run configure to setup the properties file for a project.
>
> At the moment I set up and number of properties in a standard build file
which point to all the extra libraries needed for a project.
> Now I just add a target called configure for a project that sets up the
standard propertis file or even the specific one for an
> individual project.

Ok, maybe you should have a look at the include example. Does configure do
anything which is not possible with ant currently (or does it make anyhing
easier?)

Of course the properties-file should be read from user.home, but since I
don't have Unix and I don't like the user.home Windows assigns to me :-(

If I understand the confgure-tool (the Unix one) correctly it does much more
than what the configure-task is doing. Shouldn't it for example do an
automatic fall-back to the built-in compiler (javac) if jikes is not
available?

Nico