ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Peter's ANT2 design proposals
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 11:09:10 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> Jesse Tilly <JTilly@hoteltools.com> wrote:
>
> > People simply put:
> >
> > <app>
> >   <package/>
> > </app>
> >
> > To build a jar and an open class package.  Transforms and rulesets
> > define what will really happen under the covers.
>
> You could already write XSLT to do something like this, or a velocity
> style or a Perl script.  All you are asking for is a front end to Ant
> - that could invoke Ant under the cover - not for a change of Ant
> itself.  Or am I missing something.

This would be the completly wrong thing to do. If we are going to create yet
another *Config kind of crap, this is not going to work.
What I would like, in terms of Ant1 terminology:

(1) to be able to interpose some template facility between the XMLParser
stream of events and ContentHandler used by project helper.

(2) to read the templating information from either, the build.xml file
itself, or some local .ant_template.something or both. In other words NO
COMMAND LINE FLAGS REQUIRED.

Otherwise is useless.

Of course, how are these things suppose to do dynamic (e.g., based on
fileset or some other) kind of expansions is a complete mistery to me. I
would like to hear from those presenting templates as the solution for all
scripting issues.