ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [RESULT] multithrading
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 23:42:05 GMT
> From: Diane Holt [mailto:holtdl@yahoo.com]
>

> Sure there is. Given 'ant A B', it'll run X,Y,A,Y,X,B;
> running 'ant B A'
> runs Y,X,B,X,Y,A. And if you add a target "Z" that depends on
> both A and
> B, listed as depends="A,B", running 'ant Z' will run
> X,Y,A,B,Z -- listed
> as depends="B,A", it'll run Y,X,B,A,Z. (This is almost
> identical to how
> 'make' would do it, except for the first case, where it would only run
> X,Y,A,B, since X and Y were already run -- 'make b a' runs Y,X,B,A.)

Should ANT behave as make does? Today, the call 'ant A B' is equivalent to:

	ant A
	ant B

two independent execusions, two independent dependency graphs. I have always
thought that it is kind of wrong, that it should behave as make does:

	ant 'A B'

where <target name="A B" depends="A,B" /> is consider to be a new pseudo
target added to the buildfile.

By the way, that would also give a hint on the correct meaning of:

	<ant target="A,B" .../>

which should not be the same as:

	<ant target="A" .... />
	<ant target="B" .... />