ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: if and unless attributes for all Tasks
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 15:54:46 GMT
> From: Roger Vaughn [mailto:rogervaughn@yahoo.com]
>
> --- Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > How understandable build files will be depend on our
> > choices. If I write
> > targets where every <task> has a different if/unless
> > condition, what does
> > that tell me about the readability of the build
> > file. It looks like
> > spaggetti code to me. I think the granularity is too
> > low. By having
> > if/unless at <target> level, you still can write
> > spaggetti code, but it will
> > make you think: "Do I really need to do it this
> > way?" And that is what makes
> > code understandable and maintainable, you have to
> > stop and think.
>
> You can obsfucate anything if you try.  For instance,
> it is entirely possible to specify one task per
> target, and link them all up with dependencies.  We
> don't do that because it's harder to understand.  But
> it's certainly a simpler, more declarative model than
> multiple sequential tasks per target.

Sorry, but in general they do not mean the same thing. A target is a unit of
execution either be able to do all or fail.

> There's a certain arrogance here that's frequently
> annoying.  The refrain "we don't think you should do
> that, so Ant won't include it" is heard pretty
> frequently.

One lesson programming language designers have learned over time is that
software maintainability, conposeability and such, can only be achieved to a
reasonable extend if the language is defined with those things in mind.
Otherwise we all would be using assembler, it gives you all the power you
can get, and it is so much efficient.

But try to maintain it.....

> I understand reluctance to implement
> difficult or basis-shattering features (like
> templates), but for simple things, I just don't get
> it.  Come on guys, be open to new ideas and different
> ways of doing things.  If anyone finds this insulting,
> well, I'm sorry, but that's what I see.

Things shouldn't be stopped because they are difficult, they should be
stoped if they are the wrong thing to do. This is not based on arrogance but
based on the experience and philosophy of the comunity developing the
project. It is not easy and it does not makes everyone happy all the time.
But hey, it is open source, you can always maintain your own copy :-)