ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The late stuff
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:58:44 GMT
> * Integration of the depends task and javac tasks

Why, what's wrong with invoking two tasks in sequence?

I usually have a pattern like this in my build files

<target name="depend" if="dependprop">
  <depend srcdir="${sourcedir}" destdir="${classes}" cache="dep.cache">
    <patternset refid="all.sources" />
  </depend>
</target>

<target name="compile" depends="depend">
  <javac srcdir="${sourcedir}" destdir="${classes}" encoding="iso-8859-1">
    <patternset refid="all.sources" />
  </javac>
</target>

which makes it possible to compile without the depend task and only
run it, if I know I'm going to need it (by using ant -Ddependprop=1).

You only need to run <depend> if you've made changes to the interface,
not the implementation of something, so running it all the time would
be a pain.

I don't need to mention, that recompiling everything using jikes would
be faster than doing an extensive dependency check, as Pete will do
that 8-)

> * recursive property resolution( ie resolving ${dist.${name}.dir} )

Could I have a use case for this please - something real worldish, that
you cannot (conveniently) solve be something other than that?

Stefan