ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Need help from a ZIP wizzard
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 14:14:33 GMT
One thing that has been bothering me for quite some time now is that
ZIP files created by the JDK classes don't get the correct permissions
set on Unix - at least when using Info-ZIP's unzip.

OK, I created a simple test-archive with Ant and using the command
line zip (Info-ZIP 2.2) - I took the latest documentation I could find
at <ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/archiving/zip/doc/> and started hexl-mode.

As far as I can tell, Info-ZIP doesn't put file permission data into
the "extra field" - they store timestamp and UID/GID there - but into
the "external file attributes", which are platform specific and
completely undocumented.

I've already written a subclass of ZipEntry that uses what is called
"ASi Unix" extra field data to record file modes and it works - the
format is correct - but Info-Zip simply ignores this extra data when
extracting the archive.

I seem to be stuck.

I cannot see any way to make Ant created ZIP files useful for Unix
users short of rewriting ZipOutputStream (a lot of private stuff
there) and borrowing code from Info-ZIP (reusing my rusty C
knowledge).

I'm willing to undergo that effort, but wanted to ask if anybody knows
an alternative before that.

Cheers

        Stefan