ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TASTE QUESTION: optional description attribute for ant projects?
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2001 05:39:19 GMT

> At 10:25  12/4/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>>> However more importantly is the fact that we will eventually want
>>> to doc targets or tasks etc.
>>
>>Agreed. I think, however, that we should be using XML by allowing a
>><doc> or <description> sub-elements to each of these elements
>
> Right - but sure enough as soon as you add doc elements there will
> be people asking for link sub-elements

Nah, you already said you'd prefer to use namespaces for attributes.
We could do the same for elements as well, no problems here IMHO.

>>> It would be better if there was a consistent doccing
>>> standard.
>>
>>Agreed - I just don't think we should use XML comments for that.
>
> Partially agree - I think it should be namespaced elements - but
> thats not viable for ant1.x.

Oops, you say it yourself 8-)

Why would that not be viable in Ant1.4?

We've switched to jaxp 1.1 already, so we could rewrite ProjectHelper
to become namespace aware and ignore everything that's not in the
default namespace for a starter - maybe hardcode a doc: namespace as a
preview of a future "documentation aspect".

Stefan