ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Task API
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:15:20 GMT

> At 10:53  2/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>Pete referred to "container task", which is another request, that
>>all people seem to agree with - i.e. extend the current API to let
>>Tasks have arbitrary task children via something like a
>>createTask(String) method.
>
> Yep but instead of adding complexity to engine I was thinking we
> could provide a AbstractContainerTask that got passed configuration
> and and did that "under the covers". This way everything is still
> simple for us to maintain ;) No magic interfaces - the users are
> given as much power as they want/can-handle.

Uhm, but then only AbstractContainerTask would need to provide access
to these child elements. Maybe I'm a little slow here.

And I was trying to simplify things when talking about container tasks
above - I don't want to make that a task writer's responsibility
either. Whether we do it by an abstract base task or a marker interface
that would get some special treatment from the ProjectBuilder ...

Stefan