ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The late stuff
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:45:58 GMT
Rob van Oostrum <rvanoostrum@ezgov.com> wrote:

> My master build file invokes my generic app build script passing the
> project name as a property. So the name of the property in the
> generic app script is httpd.service.name.${project.name}

I'm not sure whether I fully understand your case, but let me explain
how I would solve this (if it doesn't solve your problem, I've not
understood it 8-):

In your build file

<property file="${project.name}.properties" />
<property name="httpd.service.name" value="your-default-value" />

and define httpd.service.name in the apropriate properties file - on a
developer by developer basis.

Why wouldn't this work?

> If the code for parsing these strings is set up to work recursively
> (the only 'drawback' IMHO would be that you can't use the ${} chars
> in property names, which is a good rule to have anyway),

It would be yet another step on the road to an XML scripting language
(that Ant has allegedly already become).

Stefan