ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: continuing development for ant 1.4
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:42:05 GMT
Les Hughes <leslie.hughes@rubus.com> wrote:

> But I'm not sure that I'd want to wait for 2.x rather than starting
> to create (augment) J2EE stuff now for 1.4 onwards.

Sure not - I have no idea how long it may take until a first
functional Ant 2alpha will be there.  But I see some potential that
Ant 1.4 (or 1.5) already supports task libraries using the same
concepts as Ant2 will do - just using a different implementation.

> Perhaps moving War to an optional.j2ee package would be a start?
> Stuff like this is obviously not core - or is it?

No it is not.

But separating things out in the current architecture is problematic
when it comes to backwards compatibility - if we have to include
j2ee.jar with every build of Ant (not the way we distribute
optional.jar, but as integral part of the binary build) what would be
the difference?

Stefan