ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@collab.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] procedural versus purely declarative
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:39:01 GMT
"Nico Seessle" <nico@apache.org> writes:

> > * Simple flow control (if-then-else, for)
>
> +0.5 foreach would be useful sometimes to be able to execute every task on a
> set of files which may be the case in other build environments than mine
> also. If-then-else makes build files more complex than they should be.

I've been running into the need for flow control in Ant build files on
every project that I participate in.  It's either add flow control, or
have people write custom tasks or--ugh--external scripts.

There is a need, but I'm unsure whether built in flow control is the
right way to address it (probably is though).  To me, adding flow
control means trading ease of scripting for added complexity.  I've
never been a fan of added complexity, but the need must be met
somehow...anyhow, I'm rambling.

Daniel Rall