ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The late stuff
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:05:12 GMT

> At 02:48  26/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In my case, I have multiple compilation stages as part of the
>>> build. [...]
>>>
>>> However, the depends task would need to take a global view at the
>>> sources since there are interdependencies between all these
>>> stages.
>
> Which is why your given the opportunity to disbale it?

If Jose Alberto wants to run the depend task (i.e. not disable it),
the whole dependency checking will run once for each compilation unit
instead of once for the complete build.  And this is sloooow.

> I am concerned that we are sacrificing usability here.

Don't think so.

> The cases where you don't want to use it (ie jikes, multi-stage
> compiles, other) is by far more rare than when we do want to use it
> (ie all the other times).

IMHO the opposite is true.  You don't want to run depend unless you
know you've changed the non-private interface of a class or
interface.  No need to recompile all classes depending of A if I only
change the implementation of a method in A.

Stefan