ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] core extensions
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:47:20 GMT
Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:

>> * allow sequence to be specified in depends attribute or enhance
>>   antcall to work with current list of executed targets
>
> I don't think we should guarantee sequence. If the sequence is
> required, it can be set up but appropiate depends relationships. Not
> sure what the issue is about antcall, I'll try to follow up the
> dicussion.

I'm not arguing either side, just showing you the use-case for this
request - and admitting that I don't know how to solve this.

You have a target "clean" that does the usual cleanup and a target
"build" that creates your product. "build" doesn't depend on "clean"
as you want to be able to do incremental builds. "build" and "clean"
both depend on a common and costly target named "shared". Now you want
to make a clean build, how would you do that?

Making a target that depends on "clean" and "build" could run "build"
and then "clean", leaving you with no product at all.

Running "ant clean build" or using two <antcall> tasks in sequence
will run "shared" twice.

Stefan