ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: <available> task
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:37:19 GMT
Diane Holt <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason why the <available> task couldn't be changed to
> work at either the project-level or the target-level, the way
> <property> can?

What's special about <available> to make this change?  This would set
some precedent, you know ...

There once was this Sam Ruby who convinced me (and others) - errm,
wore me down? - to allow all tasks to be placed outside of targets so
that you could write very basic build files without a single target

Of course you run into trouble as soon as you mix these to concepts.

Right now I think we should keep all task inside of targets and make
the dependency graph (combined with the order the targets appear in
depends attributes) decide on the order of execution.

As soon as importing stuff from other build files or even
inter-build-file dependencies would come into the mix, we'd really put
ourselves into trouble.

Stefan