ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] XPath task
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:11:53 GMT
Stephane Bailliez <> wrote:

> Following discussion w/ Scott and Jeff in alexandria-dev, I quickly
> wrote an XPath task.

I'm not comfortable with the name, otherwise I would have committed it
right now.  What this task seems to do is replacing - xpath is just
used to find the stuff you want to replace.

> I'm not sure this is 'exactly' how it should be done...  this looks
> like more a feature of the replace task, but I also wanted the
> multiple replace feature without parsing n times the xml document.

I've not really read through the code, but would it really be that
difficult to integrate it with <replace>?  The replace task already
supports multiple replacements via the nested replacefilter element.

If you say, this would mean a major rewrite of replace and causes too
much pain ATM, fine, let's make it a task of its own.  But <xpath>
looks too generic for the type of action it performs (it could as well
select parts of an XML document and include it/set a property from it,

View raw message