ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Rees <d.ree...@usa.net>
Subject Re: -N option to CVS (was Re: [SUBMIT] resubmit of <recorder> with small changes)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:27:49 GMT
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:19:46 -0700, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>I finally remember what is the trick to make "cvs -N -u" work as I said.
>
>CVS will only look at files in the repository, so technically you would need
>to do a "cvs add file" for "cvs diff" to work correctly. So since most of us
>do not have commit permission you need to trick CVS by editing the
>corresponding CVS/Entries file and add an entry for each one of your new
>files. Run cvs-diff and then put everyting back.
>
>That's it, the entry format is preaty simple, but I do not remember the
>details. If someone can do a cvs add on some CVS repository and look at the
>resulting entry, that is all is needed.

Yeah, the change is pretty easy. But its easy to mess up as well. Sure
would be nice to have this automated. My current solution is to cut
and paste all the ? file lines to a text file. I then use Ant to build
a zip based on that file. I send the diff as a second file.

I keep thinking about adding something to WinCvs to build this file
list for me, but Perl is not my bag baby...

We sure need something better than this (IMHO)