ant-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject delete task & documentation
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:06:23 GMT
Hi All,

	Just been playing with the <delete ...> task. I noticed that the
	behaviour of this delete task is slightly different that what the
	documentation describes.

	When using the quiet="true" option, the documentation says:

If the file does not exist, do not display a
diagnostic message or modify the exit status to
reflect an error. This means that if a file or
directory cannot be deleted, then no error is
reported. ...

	However, I noticed that when I try to delete a file that doesn't
	exist with quiet="true", I still receive a diagnostic message:

[delete] Could not find file /home/crafterm/src/java/test.jar to delete.

	The grayness is because in Delete.java, line 251, the log statment is
	made regardless of whether quiet is set or not.

	It's easy to change - simply add an 'if (!quiet)' test before the log
	statement made.

	But, I wanted to ask first, do others see this as a mistake ?

	IMHO, when quiet="true", I expect to see nothing, just like rm -f,
	especially if the file doesn't exist.

	Either way, the code or the documentation needs to be clearer about
	what 'quiet' does. I'm volunteering to do it, if we can come to a
	consensus about what 'quiet' should do ?

	What do everyone else think ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus
     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&:           After Hours    : +49 69 49086750