ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <chris.t...@home.com>
Subject RE: [DISC] documentation system - about 70% of the way there!!
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:23:15 GMT
Hello again Ant developers!

Between the insanity of taking a new job and the inconvenience of my
basement flooding during a heavy rain (my computers narrowly escaped, but it
took more than a week for the carpet to dry before I could set them up
again), I haven't even been able to check my ant-mail (geez, you guys were
active: around 600 emails since I last checked!).

Anyway, I just wanted to pipe up and say Yay! that you guys have decided
that Anakia is pretty much the way to go for XML docs, 'cuz that was pretty
much what I had already done.  And Stefan, your 'task' DTD below is almost
exactly what I've used (same basic structure, anyway).  I also have a tag
for code examples that uses <![CDATA[...]]> sections to enclose the markup
examples, which should make things a little easier on the doc authors.

And I've also used a simple little XSL stylesheet that uses the document()
function to create a single-HTML-page version of the docs (I use the
project.xml file to get the list of XML files to parse).  It works fairly
well, but it still needs some tweaking so that it will work for both a
single HTML page and/or a PDF (which I haven't gotten to work at all yet).
I also have a stylesheet that generates the necessary files (again, from
project.xml) for a JavaHelp version of the docs that can easily be
incorporated into NetBeans or Antidote (or any java app).

So I just wanted you all to know that I've converted about 70% of the HTML
documents into the new XML (converting each individual task HTML file is a
royal PITA - I prolly shoulda tried writing a Perl script to do it), and I
am probably about 60-75% of the way there to getting the Anakia/Stylesheet
build process working well for all of the various outputs.  Now that I have
my computers set up again, I might be able to make some more progress on
this over the next 2-3 weeks.

Would you all like to see some examples that you can comment on before I go
off and spend another many hours finishing this up?  If so, I could probably
post something later this weekend or sometime next week.

Later,
Chris Todd
chris.toddAThome.com