ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Siberski, Wolf" <Wolf.Siber...@tui.de>
Subject RE: [RESULT] multithrading
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:54:13 GMT
> Eric Siegerman wrote:
>
> You're thinking in terms of telling ant when two things can be
> done in parallel; it's better to think in terms of telling it
> when they *can't* be, and letting it default to parallel unless
> told otherwise.  Like this:
>
>     <target name="build" depends="compile,copy_properties"/>
>
>     <target name="compile" depends="foo,blat">
> 	<javac ... />  <!-- compile source -->
>     </target>
>
>     <target name="copy_properties" depends="bar">
> 	<copy todir="${deploy.dir}" ... />  <!-- copy
> properties files into the class -->
>     </target>
>
> Looks familiar, no? :-)  Since neither "compile" nor
> "copy_properties" depends on the other, ant can do them in
> parallel.  *No* additional syntax is required to say that.

This is also the reason why there should be no guarantee to
execute dependent tasks in the order they are declared.
I'm aware that sometimes You want them to be executed in
a specific order, but that should not be the default IMHO.

This way we let the door open to a parallelized target
execution engine, although I agree this shouldn't be a
target for 2.0.

Wolf