ant-dev mailing list archives

From Les Hughes <leslie.hug...@rubus.com>
Subject RE: continuing development for ant 1.4
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:51:14 GMT

That's what concerned me.

> Ant 1.4 (or 1.5) already supports task libraries using the same
> concepts as Ant2 will do - just using a different implementation.

And that make me feel better :-)

> > Perhaps moving War to an optional.j2ee package would be a start?
> > Stuff like this is obviously not core - or is it?
>
> No it is not.

Phew - thought I'd kicked off a 'Supporters of Core War' flame war then....

> But separating things out in the current architecture is problematic
> when it comes to backwards compatibility - if we have to include

True. But wouldn't this just be a case of changing the taskdef props file
and building the pseudo-optional stuff into ant.jar? Not ideal of course.

> j2ee.jar with every build of Ant (not the way we distribute
> optional.jar, but as integral part of the binary build) what would be
> the difference?

A step in the right direction allowing further J2EE stuff to be accepted,
keeping it out of the core? I guess we're getting into the 'Whats a
Library?' debate but I think we can find an interim solution - maybe?

> Stefan

Les