ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Partners LLC <arielpartn...@earthlink.net>
Subject TASTE QUESTION: optional description attribute for ant projects?
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:16:01 GMT
Hello:

We are looking to annotate our build files in keeping with the javadoc
philosophy
(i.e. if the documentation stays with the code it is more likely to be kept
up to date).

To that end, we would like to add an optional "description" attribute to an
ant project
to record information that describes the project as a whole, rather than
any specific
target within the project.

We are delivering an application that includes a modular system of a dozen
or so ant build files.
Right now each build file includes a description for each target, as well
as a project-wide
description at the top in an XML comment.   A project description attribute
would make that
text available to tools like Antidote.

I am happy to make the appropriate changes to Main.java et al and submit
the patches,
but wanted to float the idea by the group first.  What say you?

Cheers,

--Craeg Strong
Ariel Partners LLC