ant-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg K Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The late stuff -- can we please change the name <depends> to <javac-depends> or something?
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:59:05 GMT
Hello:

I am writing a <depends> like task that does the same thing but for
XML/XSLT
(where we have the same problem, in spades-- see my earlier postings on
this).

Since many different "transformational" technologies (yacc/lex, javac,
xslt, cc, etc. etc)
will likely have the same issue, can we __please___ rename <depends> to
something that indicates it is the "javac" flavor?    Leaving <depends>
as-is makes it
seem as if java compilation is hardwired in ant in some way.  That is
unfortunate, b/c
ant is way more generally useful than that.

The other option (genericizing the task until it can handle all possible
flavors above)
seems too heavyweight, although we will probably find commonalities
between the
flavors that can be factored out in time.

To be clear: I love the <depends> task, I am merely respectfully
requesting that
the name be changed to better represent what it actually does.

--Craeg