ant-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] file set cullers
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:09:52 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> "Culling" is the process of killing animals in a herd to make the whole
> herd more valuable (ie you cull the weak or with bad breeding etc). It
> migrated to computer science terminoogy in a number of cases (especially in
> computer graphics where it refers to removing things). I guess it is
> understandable that a dictionary wouldn't pick that up ;)

From Mirriam-Webster

cull
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French cuillir, from Latin
colligere to bind together -- more at COLLECT
Date: 13th century
1 : to select from a group : CHOOSE <culled the best passages from the
poet's work>
2 : to identify and remove the culls from
- cullĀ·er noun

Function: noun
 Date: 1809
 : something rejected especially as being inferior or worthless <how to
 separate good-looking pecans from culls -- Washington Post>

Personally, I prefer "to select from a group". :-)

Glenn