ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] The late stuff
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:28:33 GMT
At 08:58  26/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> * Integration of the depends task and javac tasks
>
>Why, what's wrong with invoking two tasks in sequence?

The original requester complained that it should be built in as they should
almost always be used together. I kinda agree that UI wise it is a good
thing...

>I don't need to mention, that recompiling everything using jikes would
>be faster than doing an extensive dependency check, as Pete will do
>that 8-)

but you hit the nail on the head - for jikes it is not something you want
to do ;) So it needs to be optional.

>> * recursive property resolution( ie resolving ${dist.${name}.dir} )
>
>Could I have a use case for this please - something real worldish, that
>you cannot (conveniently) solve be something other than that?

I use the pattern all the way through my Makefiles to implement "generic
targets". Ie you define a whole lot of properties like

code.red.src=...
code.red.lib=...
code.blue.src=...
code.blue.lib=...

then re "call" the target setting value of color to red and use properties
via

${code.${color}.src}=...
${code.${color}.lib}=...

This can be got around in ant by placing properties in an init-properties
target rather than at top level of build file and then using ant-call etc.

Cheers,

Pete