ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] core extensions
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:26:38 GMT
At 10:53  23/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> * provide a way to define the order in which targets a given target
>>   depends upon get executed.
>>
>>   [veto by Peter Donald]
>
>I'd like to challenge that veto, Pete.

consider it lifted then ;) It was more a theoretical rather than practical
desire - motivated by JDDs idea of distributed builds which was -1'ed
anyways...

>What's your proposal to solve the use case of beanutils' all target?
><http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/~checkout~/jakarta-commons/bean
utils/build.xml?rev=1.8&content-type=text/plain>

>The use case is simple, make sure we do a "clean" build.
>
>As current Ant will execute targets that don't depend on each other in
>left-to-right order, there may be quite a few build system that rely
>on this.  We need some way to keep this feature, or some equivalent
>functionality.

Agreed - we will have this semantic in ant-call anyway (it is needed
badly). I would prefer if we only had one way to do it but it is not
critical enough to make an issue of it - I am sure a slight duplicity won't
lead to perl ;)

Cheers,

Pete