ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] procedural versus purely declarative
Date Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:51:59 GMT
At 03:39  20/4/01 -0700, Daniel Rall wrote:
>I've been running into the need for flow control in Ant build files on
>every project that I participate in.  It's either add flow control, or
>have people write custom tasks or--ugh--external scripts.

custom tasks will likely be created regardless in ant2 regardl4ess of
wishes of ant2 devs ;)

>There is a need, but I'm unsure whether built in flow control is the
>right way to address it (probably is though).  To me, adding flow
>control means trading ease of scripting for added complexity.  I've
>never been a fan of added complexity, but the need must be met
>somehow...anyhow, I'm rambling.

Flow control is not the right way to do it in most cases (all of them???) -
instead templating offers a better alternative. Unfrortunately we have to
wait till ant2 before this becomes a reality ;)

Cheers,

Pete