ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] class loading
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:15:16 GMT
At 10:56  12/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> blackdown JVM aswell as IBMs ones now ship with jars that will fubar
>> ant
>
>They do?  I was just about to install newer VMs, what's the deal?

They "help" you by preinstalling jars in ext/ path. Unfortunately these are
xml jars (interfaces/implementations) - which of course cause half you
servers to fall down and other tools like ant. The problem basically is
that users are not aware that incompatible DOM/SAX/JAXP jars are loaded as
they are not on classpath. That sends em scratching their head for ages
trying to figure out all these wierd errors.

You would think that the vendors would have a little bit of a clue and look
at similar events in history of computing ... dll hell, library hell, elc
mayhem. Oh well ;( Guess we'll have to fix it with CJAN ;)

Cheers,

Pete