ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:18:55 GMT
At 09:09  12/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>* create the concept of workspace so that projects can be built in a
>  DAG and thus enable projects like catalina/tomcat to have an easy
>  build process. It also helps CJAN to a lesser degree and would
>  partially solve the JARs in CVS thing.

+1

>* Project inheritance
>
>  /for Stephane's explanation see
>        <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=98587222515422&w=2>/

-1 Not needed yet - is a convention thing. (We can always formalize this
later)

>* Target inheritance. ie The ability to include targets from other
>  project files overidining them as necessary (so cascading project
>  files).

-1 templates will do this (even if it is just a primitive include template
rule)

>* Add an attribute to <ant> to feed back the environment (properties and
>  taskdefs) from the child build to the parent.

-1 better property scoping management will render this obsolete

>* Allow a target to depend on a target which is in another buildfile.

+1

>* Allow a target to reference properties defined in another buildfile.

+0 (Nice idea but potential nightmare - needs discussion about possible
ways to limit cross-build file spagettiness - perhaps private vs public
properties).
Cheers,

Pete