ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Datatypes
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:13:49 GMT
At 09:00  12/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>* Allow mappers to be genericised so that particular features can be
modified
>  during mapping. Something similar to
>
> <fileset ...>
>   <include name="*.sh"/>
>   <mapper type="unix-permissions">
>     <param name="user" value="ant"/>
>     <param name="group" value="ant"/>
>     <param name="mod" value="755"/>
>   </mapper>
> </fileset>

+1 on the idea
+/- 0 on proposed implementation (needs more thought)

>* Allow include/exclude tow work with multiple characteristerics of a file.
>  ie include into fileset if file is readable, modified after 29th of Feb,
>  has a name that matches patter "**/*.java" and the property "foo.present"
>  is set. Something similar to
>
> <include>
>   <item-filter type="name" value="**/*.java"/>
>   <item-filter type="permission" value="r"/>
>
>   <!-- could optionally be directory/or some other system specific
features -->
>   <item-filter type="type" value="file"/>
>   <item-filter type="modify-time"
>                operation="greater-than"
>                value="29th Feb 2003"/>
> </include>

+1 on the idea
+0.5 on proposed implementation (needs more thought)

>* provide datatypes through property tag and remove need for separate free
>  standing entities. ie
>  <property name="foo">
>    <fileset dir="blah">
>     <include name="*/**.java" />
>    </fileset>
>  </property>

+1 on the idea
+1 on proposed implementation

>* provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) low-level
>  components (mappers/itemset-filters/converters). Allow them to be
>  loaded in either global or a new classloader.

+1

>* provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) converters.
>
>  /i.e. make the hardcoded rules from IntrospectionHelper pluggable/

+1

>* Make all datatypes interfaces to allow them to be customized in many
>  ways.

-1 Only make the data types that seem appropriate into interfaces

>* Set arithmetic for fileset/patternset/*set

+0 Need to see it in use before decision

>* inheritance of ant properties/datatypes/context etc in project hierarchy

+1 (I presume this point is a "decide how to implement inheritance...")

>* inheritance of between ant datatypes. ie fileset A inherits from
>  fileset B (includes all entries in A).

-1 as it usually can be done via nesting

>* Homogenize notion of PATHs and filesets.

-1 Paths are ordered, filesets are not

Cheers,

Pete