ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FTP & Directories
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:51:22 GMT
At 09:43  11/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The RFC is just that a *recomendation*.
>
>I know, but a very detailed one - and one that gets slapped into your
>face when you don't adhere to it.

Not really. Look at the number of FTP clients that violate the spec or the
number of servers that do aswell. Many of the currently deployed servers
are riddled with violations (ie how many actually do telnet encoding?). Re

>> I can't remember the exact RFC that specs it but from memory it was
>> something like
>
>all RFCs that use the three digit error codes explain them.
>
>> 5 - Permanent error
>
>Right.
>
>Here we have a special case, MKDIR for a directory, that already
>exists or RMDIR for one that is not there.  Both errors are permanent,
>but both can be ignored.  To tell whether the error can be ignored,
>you have to rely on the error codes being returned, the first digit is
>not enough in this case.

Can't we just proceed regardless of result of mkdir (perhaps issue a
warning to log) and then the error will be picked up in next file transfer
into directory ???

Cheers,

Pete