ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FTP & Directories
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:37:05 GMT
At 09:24  11/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Tim Vernum <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:
>
>>> I've had to make the same edit to my version of ftp; I could add
>>> the ignore521errors as a option too.
>>
>> Would it not be cleaner to add something like:
>>
>> 	ignoreerrors="550,520,521"
>
>+1
>
>BTW, I remember the patch to ignore 521 and found the RFC didn't allow
>a 521 to be sent in that context - actually there is no error code 521
>in the FTP protocol.
>
>Still curious, which ftp daemon is it, that is violating the RFC? OK,
>the RFC isn't clear and has a bug itself when it comes to that error
>code.

The RFC is just that a *recomendation*. It is more practical when writing
clients to just examine the first digit and apply rules for that as almost
all daemons will use that appropriately. I can't remember the exact RFC
that specs it but from memory it was something like

1 - partial command completion (or was this 2?)
2 - ready (or was this 1?)
3 - success
4 - transient error
5 - Permanent error