ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] file set cullers
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:46:34 GMT
At 04:36  3/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>I'm not sure about the name "culler". I went to SysTran and e-lingo
>and tried to translate it to German, neither knew the term - so I
>tried "cull" and retrieved two very different translations. SysTran
>said "Ausschu├č" which means either something like board/committee or
>garbage, neither makes sense to me. e-lingo said "Auswahl" which is
>choice in English. Is the term ambiguous or is SysTran's database
>weird?

"Culling" is the process of killing animals in a herd to make the whole
herd more valuable (ie you cull the weak or with bad breeding etc). It
migrated to computer science terminoogy in a number of cases (especially in
computer graphics where it refers to removing things). I guess it is
understandable that a dictionary wouldn't pick that up ;)

Cheers,

Pete