ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Task API
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:01:48 GMT
At 10:53  2/4/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Tim Vernum <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:
>
>> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]

>>> I still don't get it, sorry. Somehow
>>> If.createTask("some-other-task") or similar would have been called
>>> anyway, wouldn't it?
>>
>> Unless a brainfart is getting to me, then the current API would do
>>
>> 	Task taskIf = new IfTask() ;
>> 	taskIf.createSomeOtherTask() ;
>>
>> which is not what you want.
>
>Pete referred to "container task", which is another request, that all
>people seem to agree with - i.e. extend the current API to let Tasks
>have arbitrary task children via something like a createTask(String)
>method.

Yep but instead of adding complexity to engine I was thinking we could
provide a AbstractContainerTask that got passed configuration and and did
that "under the covers". This way everything is still simple for us to
maintain ;) No magic interfaces - the users are given as much power as they
want/can-handle.

Cheers,

Pete