ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <available> task
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:37:53 GMT
> Diane Holt <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there a reason why the <available> task couldn't be changed to
> > work at either the project-level or the target-level, the way
> > <property> can?
>
> What's special about <available> to make this change?

What's special about <property>?  The <available> task does the same
thing, it just does it conditionally.

> This would set some precedent, you know ...

The <property> task already set the precedent -- and I'm fine with that. I
think any task whose purpose is just to set something probably should be
available at the project-level (<filter> and <tstamp> are the only other
ones I can think of) -- or none of them should be. For the future, it
could be one way to determine scope, rather than going with an attribute
to specify that.

> Right now I think we should keep all task inside of targets

But <property> is a task, and it's allowed outside of any target, so
there's already an exception.

> As soon as importing stuff from other build files or even
> inter-build-file dependencies would come into the mix, we'd really put
> ourselves into trouble.

What sort of trouble?

Diane

=====