ant-dev mailing list archives

From Roger Vaughn <rogervau...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: FTP & Directories
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:14:08 GMT

--- Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, does anyone know why the ftp task is
> so slow?

The FTP task relies exclusively on Daniel Savarese's
NetComponents for actually handling the FTP protocol
and transfers.  There's not terribly much in the FTP
task itself except directory handling, so I'd have to
suspect NetComponents, though it will be hard to say
what's actually happening until Jakarta gets their
hands on this code.  (Is this going to happen one of
these days?)

If anyone knows of a faster open source FTP library,
I'm sure we switch it in.

On the 500 errors - sorry about this, guys.  I knew
this would be a problem when I wrote the task, because
it seems every FTP server behaves differently.  I saw
no good way to handle this except by finding out the
community's experience on various servers.  IMHO, an
FTP server should not return a 500 when doing a MKDIR
for a directory that already exists - the required
postcondition is that the directory exists, so if it's
already there.....no error.  At most this should be a
warning.  But unfortunately my opinion doesn't change
all of the servers out there (or the RFC).

In any case, the ignoreerrors="5xx" seems like a
reasonable workaround.  +1

roger