ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: exec in thread
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:00:30 GMT

you know, being able to start of processes from inside ant and have them
keep running afterwards would be handyish. right now I have wrapper scripts
to bring up tomcat after the build (which shuts it down before deploying)

I agree that it should be kept separate from exec because it has very
different behaviour. Its not really part of the build process any more -it
is part of the deployment/execution process.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 11:15
Subject: RE: exec in thread

> Well, in UNIX it may be more complicated.
>
> I think the correct syntax is:
>
> /bin/sh -c '......... &'
>
> in other words there is only one parameter after the -c which contains the
> entire command line. Which will bring all the nightmare of quoting the
> command line correctly to the front.

and there are flags like 'nohup' which are kind of convenient when spawning
something.

maybe we could have a batch file/shell script to spawn off processes in a
way appropriate for each system. It's crufty but would let us tune the
spawning as well as handling the java1.1, 1.2 'no cd on exec' issue.

>So I think it will mean adding
> something to the exec command or, probably better, defining a new task,
> subclass of Exec that knows how to quote things properly for each OS.
>
> <start ...... />
>
> Does any one knows how to do such thing on Mac OS? I have absolutely no
> clue.

me neither

-steve