ant-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCallum <gho...@xtra.co.nz>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] Configure task (much like UNIX configure tool)
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 01:16:32 GMT
On Monday 30 April 2001 15:17, you wrote:
> I'm a bit confused by this but interested...
>
> If a developer has to maintain a configure.xml for his environment that
> generates a build.properties via this task, then what's the difference to
> the developer maintaining a build.properties directly?
The configure xml is just an example of how to use it.

In the example i believe it sets the classpath property to be a list of the jars.
e.g.
classpath=j2ee.jar:rt.jar:xerces.jar:xml4j.jar

uses standard pattern of include **/foo.jar if does a search from the 'dir' and add each jar
it finds to the property.

> Mind you on a philosophical point, developers should follow the standard FS
> layout of the project ;-)
Its the third party jars that are required for the project.

this way someone could have all the projects installed under /opt or /usr/local or some other
scheme

then just set the project.home property in some standard build file eg ~/.ant/global.properties
then run configure to setup the properties file for a project.

At the moment I set up and number of properties in a standard build file which point to all
the extra libraries needed for a project.
Now I just add a target called configure for a project that sets up the standard propertis
file or even the specific one for an
individual project.

Its seems so obvious in retrospect :)

Michael