ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: FTP & Directories
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:05:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaco de Groot" <jaco.de.groot@eo.nl>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: FTP & Directories

> Roger Vaughn wrote:
> >
> > --- Jaco de Groot <jaco.de.groot@eo.nl> wrote:
> > > Maybe a wu-ftpd specific check is appropiate like:
> >
> > Unfortunately there is a good chance this is going to
> > happen for every FTP server until we have a huge
> > string of special conditions.  Eventually, we might
> > even run into one that returns something meaningful
> > with the same codes we're ignoring!
>
> That's why I added replyString.endsWith("directory exists"). My patch only
> ignore's the 521 error if ALSO the returned message ends with "directory
> exists". A ftp server throwing a meaningfull 521 error will not return a
> "directory exists" error message, if it does it propably also uses this
error to
> indicate that the directory allready exists in wich case ignoring it is
the
> right thing to do.

It is a good way of hard coding a workaround for one server, but not only is
it server specific, it wont work on localised versions of wu-ftpd (assuming
that exists).

I think logging mkdir errors and moving on -bailing out on the CD is better.
the alternate strategy is to probe for the existence of the directory first
'LIST' -which adds more delays.

-steve