ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:33:58 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
> At 08:04  17/4/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> >From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
> >> * create the concept of workspace so that projects can be built in a
> >>   DAG and thus enable projects like catalina/tomcat to have an easy
> >>   build process. It also helps CJAN to a lesser degree and would
> >>   partially solve the JARs in CVS thing.
> >
> >+1
>

> >> * Allow a target to depend on a target which is in another buildfile.
> >>

> >-1
>
> Isn't the above two a self-contradiction on your part? How do you propose
> that the first be satisfied without the second ?

Well, nobody has really defined what the workspace concept is. It is hard
to agree or disagree on a concept without knowing what it really means. If
the two concepts are so intertwined, I don't see why they are separate
items. Anyway, my concept of a workspace was to be able to define a set of
builds and how the builds, as whole items, depend on one another (pretty
much GUMPish). For example, I have to build the servlet API jar before I
build the tomcat jar. Those builds could share common property definitions,
etc. In other words I envisaged this as supporting master-build type
arrangements. I still see the builds as relatively self-contained - i.e. a
target in one build does not depend on a target in another build (It may
require the items produced by that target, but that is covered in the
workspace build dependencies).

So, no, my -1 is not a contradiction, self or otherwise.

Conor