ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] file set cullers
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 06:37:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [SUBMIT] file set cullers

> At 02:56  1/4/01 -0700, David Rees wrote:
> >Hi Peter,
> >
> >I would like revisit this for  Ant1. I think there is enough
> >demonstrated user need that it makes sense for Ant1. There must be a
> >post every week asking for file attribute based FileSets.
> >
> >I think that the Culler XML api is structured enough that if we come
> >up with a different API for Ant2 that a XSLT will be easy to write.
> >
> >And, I would like to get it out sooner so that we have feedback for
> >Ant2.
>
> What does everyone else think? I like the concept of cullers but I am 90%
> sure it will be altered in Ant2.x - the question is do we apply it in
> ant1.x. Votes?

Arguments in favour
+solves existing user needs
+getting it out early lets us refine it faster

counter arguments
-it is quite a big concept change...complex testing, documentation etc.
-we dont want things to go into ant 1.4 up that wont make it into ant 2.0

Now although the ability to specify sets of files by attributes is going to
have to be in ant 2, the exact mechanism which it does so isnt
defined/agreed on yet. And while XSLT can change syntax, we can't deal with
semantics so easily.

What worries me is if cullers let you specify filesets in a way that wont be
possible in ant 2.0 or some other concept that we have to break drastically
when rolling versions then there will be trouble.

but if that isnt the case, and we have the documentation and the test cases
to really stress it exist, then it would be worthwhile doing to get early
feedback on the concept.

So I'm +-0 ...an undecided.