ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cognet.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] workspace/subbuild issues
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:36:33 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] workspace/subbuild issues

> At 10:33  17/4/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> >From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> >> Isn't the above two a self-contradiction on your part? How do you
propose
> >> that the first be satisfied without the second ?
> >>

> >Well, nobody has really defined what the workspace concept is. It is
hard
> >to agree or disagree on a concept without knowing what it really means.
If
> >the two concepts are so intertwined, I don't see why they are separate
> >items. Anyway, my concept of a workspace was to be able to define a set
of
> >builds and how the builds, as whole items, depend on one another (pretty
> >much GUMPish).
>
> So from what I get - you want ant to stay the same as it is now -
> workspaces are just some set of conventions? In effect your +1 for first
> point is just a "lets establish some conventions" vote - yer ?

Well can you give me your view of a workspace? My concern, which I raised
the first time round is that a target within a build file is not isolated.
It is part of an environment which includes the properties, filesets, etc
defined within that build file. If I can depend on a target within another
build file, how do the properties get defined? What are the scoping rules?
This can be a major problem if you try to link two build files (by a target
dependency), which have property name collisions, which will be quite
common due to use of conventions (src.dir, for example).

Conor