ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: continuing development for ant 1.4
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:57:50 GMT
> From: Emmanuel Sciara [mailto:antsciara@yahoo.co.uk]
>
> The war allows to clearly specify the important elements that
> should be in
> it. It gives special treatements to files that matter such as
> the webxml
> file and performs some degree of checks. One enhancement that
> one could
> possibly add thanks to this approach is a check on the validity of the
> webxml file with sun's dtd.

This is a very important point and I think it shows one of the advantages of
ANT over other build tools. In ANT we can easily define specialized versions
of generic tasks to be used on an specific problem domain.

To reject such work would be a very big loss.

I think it also points out the need to have a stable programatic API that
people can count on. To me, this API includes the CORE Tasks. Users defining
their own tasks should get some guarantees of the behaviour and methods of
CORE. In this case I should be able to count with a stable <jar> task class,
that I can use to build my <war>,<ear> and so on.

Jose Alberto