ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: <exec> problem with exit value
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:55:17 GMT
> From: Tim Vernum [mailto:Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au]
>

> From: Vincent Massol [mailto:vmassol@octo.fr]
>
> > I am trying to use the exec task to call another ant build
> > file in some
> > other directory (I don't want ot use the <ant> task to do
> > that because I
> > don't want to inherit any of the properties from the calling
> > build.xml).
> > However, when the called ant build file fails, the calling
> > build file does
> > not generate a "build failed" and does not stop.
>
> Have you thought about maybe using the <java> task, and calling
>  the ant Main class?

This issue, just brings back to the front one of my old misgivings about the
way <ant> works. The idea that all the properties from the calling project
are inherited and inmutable in the called project seem to be wrong.

I have no problem on having the caller's properties be as default values in
the callee, but the callee should be able to set the values to locally. The
only exception to these being values passed in the <property> arguments,
which clearly should take presedence.

Without these behavior, one would be force to know about all the properties
of all the subprojects in my big project in order to not reuse some property
name already used LOCALLY in some subproject.

Jose Alberto