ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] vote on general direction, details will be discussed later
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:27:22 GMT
Simeon Fitch <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>> * move to a system that allows docs to be generated - doc snippets
>>   should be included with the tasks they document.
>>
>>   Which DTD? Which tools for generation?
>
> +0 (what does "move to a system" mean? Are we talking Doclet for Ant
> build file?)

Don't write the docs in HTML but use something that is more structured
so you can generate documentation in different formats from it.  Like
you can create HTML and XSL:FO (and thus PDF for example) from XML
files.

And maybe something like a build-docs target in Ant that scans all
task libraries of the system and generates a compound documentation of
all tasks it finds.

>> * provide support for user defined task configurations - i.e. give
>>   users the ability to specify a default value for attributes
>>   (always use debug="true" in <javac> unless something else has
>>   been specified).
>>
>>   Three ideas so far: a CSS like language, a <taskconfig> element,
>>   properties following a specific naming scheme.
>
> -0 (how does this affect the "simplicity" goal?)

if we find a simple way to specify these defaults ... 8-)

>> * It should be possible to modify details of the actual build (e.g.
>> classpath,
>>   used compiler) without the need to change the build
>>   specification.
>>
>>   Do build.compiler and build.sysclasspath cover everything or do
>>   we need to add more stuff like this?
>
> +1 (does this fall in with "allowing default values"?)

Not completely.

The default value category would provide values if nothing has been
specified at all. Here we are talking about overriding what has been
specified in the build file - like build.sysclasspath="only" will
simply ignore all <classpath> entries of the build file.

>> * build files should be declarative in nature
>>

> +0 (feature or design goal?)

neither nor or both, I'm not sure.

Stefan